super {flea} sunday.

Hello, hello friends!! How you derr’n? {Wendy Williams-style} My name is Chelsea. You may have seen me hanging out here, or even here, formerly. But today, I’m delighted to be here with you all at The  60/40 on this pretty Sunday!

When Miss Rox asked me to guest post her famous Super {flea} Sunday I was elated and honored! Not only is it one of my favorite blog features around, but {flea} markets, thrift stores, consignment shops, and junk yards are my specialty! I could spend hours wandering through other people’s trash and come out with some impressive treasures- and maybe in need of a few tetnis shots… but whatever. I’ve got some great stuff to show you, so let’s get started!

There is no way I could narrow down my single favorite thrift store find. Most of our house is made up of fabulous, mis-matched {flea}-finds- including my closet! So today I’m going to show you a few finds that I’ll never tire of.

This amazing green typewriter was buried beneath piles of sports equipment (ew.). It still has the original brushes, the keys still work, and the previous owner was kind enough to leave me some paper! On the case a name and address are scrawled in pencil. I thought this particular typewriter was especially wonderful because it’s my favorite shade of vintage mint-green- even the keys!



This next find is awaiting a facelift, but I still get use out of it every single day. It’s a mid-century spring-loaded rocking chair! I’ve never seen another like it. The day I found it was really magical. It was beginning to snow and I wanted to get out of the house before the blizzard hit so I decided to do some “light” thrifting (read: major retail therapy to ward of winter blues). I found this beauty and had to fend off other buyers while trying to convince Ryan to bring his truck to haul it home! I ended up carrying it to my little car in the heavy snow and carefully driving it home. I love it so much and hope to re-upholster it and use it in a nursery *some day* (if my mother in-law is reading this, we’re not pregnant. Just FYI)



Last but not least, I definitely found my wedding dress at a thrift store! Yep. While shopping for bridesmaid dresses, I literally tripped over a wadded up frock – and maybe cursed a little. But after further inspection, I realized it was THE dress. The one. Gorgeous silk with lace and embroidery- it fit like a glove and felt like I was wearing lingerie. I didn’t have to do any alterations. All it needed was a little steaming, something new, something borrowed, and something blue! My grandmother made a mantilla veil and hand-dyed it in coffee to match, I wore my mother’s locket (handed down to her from my grandmother), and of course had my blue under-things on (TMI for our first meeting? No? okay.) making the wedding day outfit absolutely complete.



Phew. What a novel. Well, that’s it for me, folks. I hope you enjoyed my Super {Flea} Sunday Greatest Hits! Now get out there and start hunting! {Oh, and be sure to stop by Red Dirt Revivalsometime and say hello!}

Yours very truly,
Chels

No comments: